Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lines lines lines...

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I find choosing the right line the worse possible process on earth. It seems like every time I find a line that I like and spool a 2nd reel with it, within weeks, I either discover something I don't like about it or I discover a line that I like more... Well while I'm on the neverending quest to find the best lines out there, I thought I might as well give some thoughts on lines I've used.

So to date I have tried:

Powerpro
Tufline XP
Spiderwire Code Red
Spiderwire Invisibraid
YGK Power Hunter
YGK Ultra Castman 8x
Fireline
Sufix Performance Braid
Sufix 832
Fins PRT

Okay before I start rating the lines, I have to say that there are 2 lines that belong to a completely different category from the rest, these are the YGK Ultra Castman and the Sufix 832. Being 8x braids, they belong to a higher category of lines as compared to the rest which are all 4x braids.

Anyway on to my comments:

Powerpro


Pretty much one of the most popular braids in the market. It is reasonably good, though from time to time, you do pick a bad spool and the line snaps randomly. The good range is 10lbs and above, the lighter powerpro lines tend to be more flat than round, which is bad for spinning setups. It also has the lowest abrasion resistance I have ever seen on a braid, kiss a structure and its over.

Construction: 8/10
Casting: 7.5/10
Abrasion resistance: 5/10
Lifespan: 7/10, still decent after a few mths of extremely heavy use.
Suppleness: 7/10, decent, a little stiff out of the box, but gets better over time.
Color Retention: 5/10, color bleeds very quickly.
Price: ~SGD40 per 300yds

Tufline XP

Very similar to powerpro in almost all aspects. Slightly better abrasion resistance but the line tends to fray after awhile, which causes it to trap alot of water. It is also slightly more supple.

Construction: 8/10
Casting: 7.5/10
Abrasion resistance: 6/10
Lifespan: 6/10, frays over time.
Suppleness: 7.5/10
Color Retention: 6/10, color bleeds relatively quickly.
Price: ~SGD35 per 300yds


Spiderwire Code Red

One of my favorites still to date for a 4x braid. Does not bleed color, has a decent lifespan and does not fray over time. It casts quite well.

Construction: 8.5/10
Casting: 8/10
Abrasion resistance: 6/10
Lifespan: 8/10
Suppleness: 8/10
Color Retention: 9/10
Price: ~SGD42 per 300yds

Spiderwire Invisibraid


Decent line, very strong and solid, though I find it a little on the flat side. It is white so there is no color to bleed. My trials showed that it gets worn out rather quickly tho. It casts well.

Construction: 7.5/10
Casting: 8.5/10
Abrasion resistance: 6/10
Lifespan: 5/10
Suppleness: 8/10
Color Retention: NA, White line
Price: ~SGD48 per 300yds

YGK Power Hunter

Only comes in light ratings, like PE0.8-1.5. The color holds relatively well. It casts well, but for such a thin line, being able to feel the weaves is a little odd. This line has an impressive lifespan, it has been on my bradia for almost 9months.

Construction: 7.5/10
Casting: 8/10
Abrasion resistance: 6.5/10
Lifespan: 8/10
Suppleness: 8/10
Color Retention: 8/10
Price: ~SGD27 per 100m

YGK Ultra Castman 8x

This is my absolute favorite line period. It casts ridiculously well, its silent. The strength to diameter ratio is also amazing, with PE2 @ 33lbs and PE3 @ 47lbs. Abrasion resistance still sux tho as with most braids. The quality is excellent, very smooth and very round. The lifespan is well... I haven't had to change my line yet and there is almost no sign of fraying after 4mths of heavy use.

Construction: 9.5/10
Casting: 10/10
Abrasion resistance: 6/10
Lifespan: 9/10
Suppleness: 9/10
Color Retention: NA, white line.
Price: ~SGD100 per 300m, SGD40 per 100m

Fireline

My least favorite line, it is extremely stiff out of the box, takes a long time to break in and bleeds color like no other. The stiffness causes it to cast CRAPtastically. The strength is definitely there tho once it has been broken in. The thick coating gives it higher abrasion resistance but makes it stiff. It is also a fuse, not a braid, meaning over time it does puff up as the strands come apart. This does not affect its performance tho and if you don't mind the puffing up, it lasts quite awhile.

Construction: 6/10
Casting: 5/10
Abrasion resistance: 7/10
Lifespan: 7.5/10
Suppleness: 4/10
Color Retention: 5/10
Price: ~SGD35 per 300yds

Sufix Performance Braid

I would put this in the same category as Tufline and Powerpro, nothing special, nothing bad either.

Construction: 8/10
Casting: 7.5/10
Abrasion resistance: 6/10
Lifespan: 7/10
Suppleness: 7.5/10
Color Retention: 7/10
Price: ~SGD40 per 300yds

Sufix 832

One of my favorite lines. Extreme abrasion resistance from the gore fiber, excellent construction. Very round line. Comparable to YGK Ultra Castman except it is slightly stiffer. It is also slightly thicker than most lines, only very slightly tho. Color doesnt bleed, but it does fade over time. Performance is consistent over time tho, good lifespan.

Construction: 9/10
Casting: 8.5/10
Abrasion resistance: 9/10
Lifespan: 8/10
Suppleness: 8/10
Color Retention: 6/10
Price: ~SGD65 per 300yds

Fins PRT

Decent line, stiff out of the box but breaks it very quickly. Coating rubs off very easily tho, and you will get residue on the line layer/roller. Once broken in it is a very good line, casts well and lasts a long time.

Construction: 7.5/10
Casting: 8/10
Abrasion resistance: 6/10
Lifespan: 8/10
Suppleness: 7/10
Color Retention: 7/10
Price: ~SGD40 per 300yds

No comments:

Post a Comment